Monday 1 January 2018

Favorite Authors of 2017

This past year, I tended to stay with authors I knew well.  I discovered a few new ones, but my favorites remain the same as in past years!

Authors I read the most in 2017 include:

1.  Emilie Loring:  I acquired 46 of her 50 books in fall of 2016.  I bought 2 more in 2017, so I have only 2 left to find and read! 

2.  Clare Darcy:  Darcy is one of my favorite Regency-era authors, and I am trying to complete my collection.  I managed to find 8 this year and read the ones I hadn't read yet.  I believe I still have a few to find.

3.  Grace Livingston Hill:  I read 3 of these to my 13-year-old daughter this year, and I read another on my own.  So far, these are my favorite mother-daughter read-alouds.

4.  Melanie Dickerson:  She had 3 new releases this past year, and I ordered and read all 3!  Dickerson is my current favorite author and has been for the past few years.

5.  Georgette Heyer:  Heyer is my favorite Regency-era author, but this year I read 3 of her mysteries.  Fun!  My favorite was Why Shoot a Butler?

I also read new releases from some of my favorite authors:  Julie Klassen, Karen Witemeyer, Tamara Leigh, Elizabeth Camden (that one wasn't a new release but new to me), and Anthony Horowitz.

I read only a few children/young adult books (Kate DiCamillo and Anthony Horowitz), but I will be starting 2018 off with one I haven't read since I was little!

I tried a few new authors.  One is Catherine Tinley, a new author whose inspiration is Georgette Heyer.  Her book was one I read an excerpt from years ago and had anticipated for a while!  I was not disappointed.

A few other new authors I tried out were in genres of fiction that I rarely read, and I wanted to challenge myself to read something different.  Three of these were contemporary Christian romances, and while I liked them, I wouldn't say they are favorites.  I also tried a short Gothic novel and found it surprisingly enjoyable.

Finally, my husband challenged me to read more Christian nonfiction.  I managed 3, which is good for me.  All three were excellent, and I have a nonfiction reading list for 2018!

No comments:

Post a Comment